How Warm Is My Coat? Warm Clothing Advice from Free Country
This is a question we get asked over and over - and not an easy one to answer.
We understand that shopping for winter clothes can be a challenge, and we want to help you pick warm jackets for you and your family. Here at Free Country we don't give our garments a warmth rating for temperature conditions, because we know just how subjective comfort can be. A winter coat that's perfect for you might be too warm or cold for someone else in the very same weather conditions.
That said, we can offer a few pointers. Here are some factors for you to take into considerations when choosing a warm coat for winter-weather activities.
- Choose a garment with a removable inner jacket such as our 3-in-1 Systems Jackets for maximum warmth and versatility. Inner jacket can be worn separately on warmer days.
- Down insulation provides excellent warmth without the bulk. Shop Down Jackets
- Most FCX / Midweight garments are fleece lined and not insulated. These jackets are plenty warm for most conditions but for extreme weather add a layer underneath.
- Be sure to select a size that will allow a comfortable amount of space for proper base layering
- Fleece and Softshell jackets can be used as a base layer under another jacket for added warmth or worn on their own in spring and fall.